Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Marriage: A Grand Adventure

 How can you say no to this strapping young fella?

It was our 3 year wedding anniversary this past week. 
And I’m feelin’ the love.


This is us 3 years ago.


And this is us now. 


It’s hard to believe it has been 3 years since we said “I do.”
 It seems like just yesterday that we were 
counting down the days on our kitchen chalkboard.

This self-made chalkboard has helped us celebrate countless
occasions, and our wedding was no exception.
It’s kinda my thing.

But then again, it’s hard to believe it has ONLY been 3 years. 



Our relationship began when Travis was a cute 16 year
old with spikey hair who drove a blue ’68 Camaro,
and I was 17, and a total sucker for his charm.

1999. This was our 1st Summer together.

(I’ve always liked younger men.)

OK, but I don’t think a one year difference passes for cougar status.

Over the years, we have had the privilege of achieving many life
goals together, side by side. Whether it was graduating high school,

Travis. 2000.

or college,

My graduation day from CSULB. 2005.

getting grown up jobs,


or buying a house we happily made our own. . .


. . .we’ve been there to cheer each other on,
and keep one another on task. 

And with that, these past three years of marriage have felt like
an easy continuation of what we already started twelve years ago. 

Our wedding rehearsal. 2008.

And it’s been a grand adventure. 

Even after all this time, we still enjoy being together.


    I love that he is an amazing cook, and that he makes
“Aimee’s Potatoes” even better than I do.


And that he is a more skilled multi-tasker than I can ever hope to be.

Really ladies, it’s true.


I love that he is such a planner.
So much so, that it took us a year and a half of
researching dog breeds until we finally got our dogs.

Our pups. Guinness and Raja.
  

I love that he will sing along to a song using the wrong lyrics,
and when I try to correct him, he says he is making up his own version. . .
. . .and it makes me laugh every time.


I love that he does things around the house without me
asking him to, which keeps my nagging to a minimum. . .
 . . . and keeps this relationship from becoming one of these:

Only love around these parts.

       I love that he is game to take on any handy man project
that our house requires, and I am his happy assistant.

New sprinkler system + new landscaping = awesomeness.

New gate in attempts to puppy proof… pretty snazzy.
We're kind of an amazing team.

I love that he is an entrepreneur at heart, and is constantly
coming up with ideas of how to start our own business.
His enthusiasm is endearing; and his smarts, impressive.

The ideas are always flowing.

I love that he loves sports so much he, at one point,
played on 3 softball teams at once, and still managed
to get in time for golf, disc golf, basketball, AND me.

No really, I do!

I love that he bleeds Dodger blue. 

This is us at Petco Park, Dodgers vs. Padres game. 2011.
And yes, Travis started Dodger chants. And no, we didn’t get into any fights.
Note to self: Padres fans are really nice.

I love that after I made him watch The Notebook with me,
he brought me back to reality by saying,
“I’m not going to build you a house by the lake.” 


And correct me if I’m wrong, but I think he has the
slightest resemblance to Ryan Gosling. . .
. . . so you could see my confusion at hearing such disappointing news.

                                                                       Eh? Eh? No? Ok.

I love that he encourages me to spend time with my friends,
and understands that they have helped to shape me into the woman I am,
just as much as he has.

A few of my favorite ladies. 2011.

I love that whether it’s my artwork or writing,
or more recently, jewelry-making,
he is my biggest fan… and best critic.



I love that he fits right in with my family. . .

                                       Travis & I with my brothers & Sierra, Sean's gf, at my
                                  cousin Carrie's wedding. CT 2010.                                                        
. . . and gets along great with my friends. 

Jessica and Travis on our SF Trip. 2003.
 
I love that everyone who knows him, loves him.
His smile, contagious. His eyes, sincere.

I love that he is a great Puppy Poppa,
and that I know he will be an awesome father one day.

Our little Rajita Bear getting her morning cuddle with her Poppa Bear.

I love that he loves the outdoors as much as I do,
and he is always down for a bike ride, or a hike, or camping.

Laguna Beach hike on our 3 year anniversary. 2011.

I love that we love taking road trips together.
Just us.
And that we have this silly tradition of taking pictures
of ourselves while we’re on the road.

OK, so it is somewhat dangerous... but fun right?

I love that it has been 12 years since we’ve been together,
and that he is still just as sweet, charming and funny as he was back then. 

Travis. 1999.

Don’t get me wrong, we are by no means perfect.

Shhhh, nobody is.

But truth be told, some of those imperfections, make it all the sweeter.

It’s true.

It’s been a grand adventure indeed, being his life partner.

For our anniversary, I gave him a card that said,
 “Love doesn't consist of gazing at each other, 
but in looking together in the same direction.”
~Antoine De Saint-Exupery


And in our most recent adventure, a trip to the Grand Canyon, 
it was a reminder of just that.

Although, mind you, we have done plenty of gazing at each other over the years…
there comes a point in time where you look beyond the present, and look to the future. 
To what will one day be.


On our trip we spent sunsets gazing in the distance
as that beautiful ball of fire dipped past the mountains
to the west while we ate cheese and drank wine.
 

There was nothing between us and the cliffs to the canyon below.  
As soon as the sun passed the horizon, the crowds of admirers left in droves.
And we were left with the pinkish-purple sky all to ourselves. . .
. . .the canyon in the foreground turning to a dusty gray-blue.

It was even more beautiful than the sun itself.
And it was a shame that people left before experiencing it.

It became clear to me, there overlooking the clay colored canyon,
that it is not only the milestones in life,
like weddings, graduations & birthdays, or, in this case, a sunset that are special…
but the sweet moments thereafter, and in-between,
when the sun slips into the mountains, and the best part emerges.

The wonderful, lingering in the distance, but close enough to touch.

Sunset kiss.
Those are the moments we should cherish.  
We spent the next half-hour or so just sitting there,
our feet inches from the rocky ledge
as the pink sky turned to black.

In our lives, I feel like our sky is on the brink of turning that sweet
pinkish-purple, and we are not about to leave our rocky ledge now.
We will savor that which has not yet happened,
and look to the future as it presents its’ sweet self.
Whatever that may be.
I’m pretty sure, based on the past, it will be worth sticking around for.




 




   








No comments:

Post a Comment