Monday, April 4, 2011

Fran McMahon's Irish Bread

 
If you know me, you know I am Irish.

 This is my Grandma. 
And this is her recipe.  Although I never had the opportunity to make it with her, or even watch her make it, it is something I hold quite sacred.  She lived in Connecticut, and I in California.  I didn't find this recipe until many years after her passing, while I was perusing our family website, http://mcauliffefamily.org/.

I printed it, bought the ingredients, and made a batch of my own. 

My father loves it.  It is a nice thing to be able to give him.  Something physical, that he can hold in his hands and put in his mouth, as a reminder of his mother.  And yet, it is coming from me, his daughter... my hands folding the cool dough, separating the raisins, and omitting the caraway seeds by my own accord. 

Fran McMahon’s Irish Soda Bread
3 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
4 tablespoons melted butter/margarine
1 ¼  cup buttermilk (fat free)
1 cup raisins
1 tablespoon caraway seeds

1.       Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl, making sure the raisins are not all stuck together.
2.       2 whip eggs in separate bowl.
3.       Add buttermilk, then butter.
4.       Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the egg mixture into it.
5.       Mix together by hand until well blended.
6.       Spoon into greased loaf pan.
7.       Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes
8.       Bainim!! (Enjoy!)



1 comment: