Monday, May 16, 2011

Is it Summer yet?

If you’re lucky enough to be in Southern California right now,
you’d know it is the perfect weather to hit the beach. 


Summer weather in the midst of Spring. 


It brings me back to my childhood, long days spent at the beach. 
My mom would take us often during the Summer months. Two. Three times a week.  Our family favorite was Corona Del Mar.  A cove beach on the other side of Newport Harbour.

 
Is this not a dream?

 
 I was a water baby, connected to the waves, the salt, the sand.


This is me at age 3. Bum and all.

 This weather makes me wish I was a kid again. 
Digging for sand crabs after the waves pull back.




Amphibious
i learned as a child
how to duck under ocean waves
pressing palms to the sand
silent and still,
listening for the rumbling cloud to pass.
i sometimes wished I could stay there,
married to the grainy floor
as though a bottom feeding fish,
waiting for some clumsy sand crab
to pop out of its hole.
i wanted to breathe through gills
as bubbles of air slipped
up to the surface,
where the sun kaleidoscoped
into glinting fragments of reality.
[Poem by: Aimee Mandala  ©2005]

Happy Early Summer to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment