Friday, February 17, 2012

Random Gifts of Kindness

I received a surprise package in the mail yesterday...


And I decided, right then and there,
that the best kind of package,
is an unexpected one.

I didn't recognize the return address:
Emily Black Apple
from Portland, Oregon.

Hmmm, what could it be? Who could it be from?

I excitedly opened it up. . .
. . . and was more than delighted to find
an exquisitely adorable set of handcrafted postcards inside.


There was no note. No packing slip.
No one to thank.
Just this very cute business card.


But one thing was for sure... I LOVED IT!

The postcard designs blend whimsy with a sense of humor
that gives you a glimpse into the artist’s curious world:
quirky with a side of sweet.
Here are just a few of my favorites:





The gently rounded corners and antiqued coloring
make it feel like they are from another time,
when quill pens and ink bottles dressed a writers desk.  
There is no question that these little gems are made with care...
and a lot of love.


And although there was no indication as to
who could have possibly made this kind purchase,
I had a pretty good guess as to who it could be. . . 

. . . my dear friend, Jessica.
(We've been friends, like, FOREVER!)

Jess & I on my visit to SF. Aug. 2011

After 25 years of being friends,
she knows me like I know me. 

She knows I have a love for unique cards.
Paper.
Any and every thing I can write on.
The look of something worn,
weathered,
touched and tattered with fingertips of friends miles away.

She got me this cute notebook as part of my birthday gift last year,
although I know she was tempted to keep it for herself.

And miles away she is indeed.

Jessica moved to Jerusalem with her husband, Ross, a couple months ago.
Ross had a great job opportunity requiring an 18 month commitment,
and they decided to take the plunge.

This is Jessica floating in the Dead Sea.
Really... you just float.

And although it is a drastic change from San Francisco to Israel culturally,
she is baring the burden well.
Jessica is one of the smartest, funniest people I know,
and if anyone can make the most of their situation,
it is her.

She is currently keeping a blog to document her experiences.
She is a lover of books, history, music and travel,
and it has been a delight to see the world
through her introspective and inquisitive eyes.
Check out her blog here.

The giver of this random gift of kindness was confirmed on my first guess.
Of course it was Jessica.


It could be no one else.

As she is one who knows just how sweet it is
 to have someone over 7,500 miles away,
who knows your thoughts and dreams
as if she is sitting right there next to you.


And while she roams around exploring all that the Holy Land has to offer,
I thank you my dear friend.

XOXO,
Aims

To see my previous post about Jessica and Ross, Click Here

To check out Emily Black Apple’s Etsy Shop, Click Here






No comments:

Post a Comment